I received an email earlier encouraging me to put my number one next to Lembit Opik's name in the ballot for Lib Dem Mayoral candidate. His pitch reads like a surreal version of the 'What have the Romans ever done for us' sketch from Life of Brian.
- Has brought us peace in Northern Ireland
- Is a match for Ken and Boris in the character stakes (abusing journalists and getting lovers pregnant one assumes)
- Won Newcastle City Council for the Lib Dems
- Is a vote winner among central and east European voters
- Will do a deal with Bob Crowe (yes seriously)
- Will encourage housebuilding by refusing to sell land to developers
- Oppose a ban on something that isn't being banned.
One might say he's not the campaigning messiah - he's a very naughty boy...