8 March 2011

Solving the Lembit for Mayor problem in one easy stroke...

Lembit Opik wants to be Mayor of London. No doubt Lembit wants to be a lot of things too - celebrity, gigolo, astronomer, stand up comedian and so on. But what he has conclusively proved over the last few years is that he is not a politician. Throwing away a seat that has been liberal for all but four of the last 140 years ought to be a salutory lesson, but it is clear from his actions since that he has learned nothing from his rejection by the good people of Montgomeryshire.

He's carried on as if it never happened (nor has he given any impression he has analysed the why). He has gone back to Lib Dem members (who massively rejected him in the 2008 party president election and another unheeded warning) in a vain quest to become their candidate for London Mayor - the biggest job of its kind in western Europe. It's also a job that fundamentally requires articulate and grown up candidates - even if they can at the edges show their less serious sides. As a result the regional party postponed the selection (in a bid to lure someone more electable to take up the challenge).

So far arm twisting of the usual suspects has resulted in no takers - and the party faces the prospect of a selection involving Lembit and a handful of (no doubt excellent) candidates who are unknown outside their boroughs (or even their wards). And in these circumstances Lembit might just win as the only candidate with any profile.

But there is one person I think who fits the bill - an articulate, serious politician, Londoner with an interesting back story and Liberal to their core. And he also has proved to have had the backbone for tough political fights.

Step forward Dominic Carman - Lib Dem candidate for London Mayor in 2012.

More here and here

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea. If we're going to lose (and we undoubtedly will), we may as well put up a principled candidate like Carman to counter the 'Lib Dems have sold out' meme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh put Carman up, he has already got the losing speech ready and waiting for the next kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dominic Carman for London Mayor? If he really is 'an articulate, serious politician' then yes, he's got to better than Lembit. No more joke candidates please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need someone who is known to the public or we will get drowned out. The media like Lembit and from my experience the public on the ground warm to him. If Carman wanted to do this he would have declared months ago, so I can't see this would be a good approach.
    Ed Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah that last comment would be by the Ed Joyce employed by the Lembit campaign...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see what he's got to say abart the Cockney's when they tell him to f.ck off just like the Barnsley electorate did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dan,

    I think that you are guessing when you say that I am employed by the Lembit campaign - why do that? I am hurt!

    Anyone who knows me would know that I would be very unlikely to be paid to work for the party or any group in it - so I can only assume that you don't know me very well.

    Why not come and join us for a beer and see how our campaign works. We might be able to reassure you.

    Regards
    Ed Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Given other commitments, I have reached the conclusion that I cannot financially afford to run an effective campaign as the Lib Dem candidate for Mayor. Regrettably, I will therefore not be putting my name forward when the selection procedure formally restarts in May. Having spoken to Mike Tuffrey and others yesterday, I am convinced that he will make an excellent candidate and I will be giving him my support in whatever way I can, should he decide to run, which I sincerely hope he does.

    Thank you for your support

    Dominic

    ReplyDelete